Eight (8) Facts about the Earth you would want to doubt
1. According to radiometric dating and other sources of evidence, Earth formed about 4.54 billion years ago .
2. Earth is the only planet in the solar system not named after a mythological being. Instead, its name is derived from the Old English word “ertha ” and the Anglo-Saxon word “erda ” which means ground or soil.
3. The hottest temperature ever recorded on Earth’s surface was 136 degrees F or 57.8 degrees C in El Azizia, Libya recorded in 1922.
4. The coldest spot was Antarctica’s vostok station that recorded a bonechilling minus 128.6 degrees fahrenheit (minus 89.2 degrees C)
5. Although earthquakes are no fun, they are not the only quakes that affect the earth. Moon quakes can actually make a difference in the tides.
6. Volcanos aren’t the only things that explode gas and magma. Lakes do that too. In Africa, on the borders of Cameroon, Rwanda, and the Democratic Republic of the Congo there are several lakes that sit above volcanic earth which results in large pockets of dangerous gas being trapped beneath them. If they were to explode they would asphyxiate any passersby.
7. The deepest spot on Earth is the Challenger Deep in the Mariana Trench. It is nearly 11 km below the surface of the ocean (~7 miles) and only 3 people have ever ventured there.
8. The largest single living thing (apart from reefs constructed of multiople polyps) was a mushroom fungus in Oregon that grew to 2,200 acres.
Join Pengician on
BBM channel: Just search PENGICIAN and subscribe for free.